How to play Andar Bahar - Rules, tips & strategies

Andar Bahar hero image

What is Andar Bahar?

Andar Bahar is a classic tash wala card game that originated in southern India. Your aim is to successfully bet on which side – Andar (inside) or Bahar (outside) – will first match the rank of a selected card in every round.

Andar Bahar has become a popular online gambling game for its simple rules and fast-paced gameplay. Both RNG and live dealer versions are available, and many top online casinos offer generous bonuses that you can use on Andar Bahar titles.

Andar Bahar is also a great game to play in-person with friends. You only need one deck of cards, and its straightforward gameplay makes it easy for players of all experience levels to learn.

Best Andar Bahar bonuses in India

Checked & verified by

ecogra itech trusted secure mcafee
RANK 1
22Bet
22Bet
₹27,000
Bonus:
5.0/5.0
5.0/5.0
Expert Rating
₹27,000
Bonus:
RTP: 96.35% Games: 1100 Payout: 1-2 days
RANK 2
Casino Days
Casino Days
₹50,000
Bonus:
4.5/5.0
4.5/5.0
Expert Rating
₹50,000
Bonus:
RTP: 98.50% Games: 1000+ Payout: 1-2 days
RANK 3
fairplay
fairplay
₹50,000
Bonus:
4.5/5.0
4.5/5.0
Expert Rating
₹50,000
Bonus:
RTP: 97.54% Games: 1,000+ Payout: 0-1 days
RANK 4
10CRIC
10CRIC
₹15,000
Bonus:
4.0/5.0
4.0/5.0
Expert Rating
₹15,000
Bonus:
RTP: 96.45% Games: 2400 Payout: 2 days
RANK 5
Parimatch
₹105,000
Bonus:
4.5/5.0
4.5/5.0
Expert Rating
₹105,000
Bonus:
RTP: 95.81% Games: 3,500 Payout: 1-3 days
RANK 6
Jackpot Guru
Jackpot Guru
₹100,000
Bonus:
4.0/5.0
4.0/5.0
Expert Rating
₹100,000
Bonus:
RTP: 98,76 % Games: 700+ Payout: 1-3 Days
RANK 7
Melbet
₹155,000
Bonus:
4.0/5.0
4.0/5.0
Expert Rating
₹155,000
Bonus:
RTP: 97.15% Games: 5000+ Payout: 0-7 days
RANK 8
Casinoly
Casinoly
₹40,000
Bonus:
4.7/5.0
4.7/5.0
Expert Rating
₹40,000
Bonus:
RTP: 96.58% Games: 750 Payout: 1-3 days
RANK 9
Spin Casino
Spin Casino
₹100,000
Bonus:
3.5/5.0
3.5/5.0
Expert Rating
₹100,000
Bonus:
RTP: 97.59% Games: 550+ Payout: 1-2 days
RANK 10
Dafabet Casino
Dafabet Casino
₹8,000
Bonus:
4.6/5.0
4.6/5.0
Expert Rating
₹8,000
Bonus:
RTP: 98.48% Games: 550 Payout: 0-2 days
RANK 11
JackpotCity Casino
JackpotCity Casino
₹40,000
Bonus:
3.5/5.0
3.5/5.0
Expert Rating
₹40,000
Bonus:
RTP: 97.84% Games: 500+ Payout: 1-2 days
RANK 12
Bet365
Bet365
₹30,000
Bonus:
3.0/5.0
3.0/5.0
Expert Rating
₹30,000
Bonus:
RTP: 96.26% Games: 120 Payout: 1-2 days
RANK 13
Betway Casino
Betway Casino
₹90,000
Bonus:
3.0/5.0
3.0/5.0
Expert Rating
₹90,000
Bonus:
RTP: 97.55% Games: 400+ Payout: 1-3 days

How to play Andar Bahar

You can play Andar Bahar for real money online by signing up with one of our top-rated Andar Bahar casinos, making a deposit, and loading a game. Most Andar Bahar games work as follows:

Step 1 Place your bets

Before the round begins, players must bet on whether they think a card matching the rank of the selected card (known as the Joker) will first appear in the Andar or Bahar box. Betting limits will vary depending on the online version of Andar Bahar that you’re playing.

Andar Bahar Step 1 image
Step 2 Reveal the Joker card

After the initial bets have been placed, the dealer will shuffle the deck of cards and reveal the topmost card, which then becomes the Joker for that round. The Joker card is then placed in a specific box between the Andar and Bahar boxes.

Andar Bahar Kick-Off with Joker Card image
Step 3 Cards are dealt

The dealer will then draw cards from the deck, placing each card alternatively in the Andar and Bahar boxes. In most Andar Bahar games, the dealer starts with the Andar box, but in some versions, they begin with Bahar if the Joker card is red. This continues until a card matching the rank of the Joker is drawn and placed in what becomes the winning box.

Dealing with the Cards image
Step 4 Round finishes

Depending on whether your bet was successful, you’ll then either receive the corresponding payout for winning or lose your bet.

Winning Hand image

Best online casinos to play Andar Bahar

Rank Casino Games RTP Bonus amount
🥇
1,100+
96.35%
₹25,000
🥈
1,000+
98.50%
₹50,000
🥉
1,000+
97.54%
₹50,000
#4
2,400+
96.45%
₹60,000
#5
3,500+
95.81%
₹105,000

Andar Bahar rules and payouts

While Andar Bahar is a relatively simple game, different variants can feature additional rules, which may determine your potential payout and offer more ways to win.

Andar Bahar is played with a standard single 52-card deck. At online casinos in India, you can play either single-player RNG versions or live titles, which can feature up to hundreds of players at once.

Players and Cards image

Before the dealer reveals the Joker card, you can place side bets on what suit or rank you think it will be. If guessed correctly, you’ll receive a payout regardless of whether your Andar or Bahar bet is successful.

First Bet image

If the Joker card isn’t matched in the first two cards dealt, some Andar Bahar games let you make a second bet on Andar or Bahar. If the Joker is then matched on the next card in your box, you win even money on your first bet and 25% of the value of your second bet.

Second Bet image

Payouts on winning bets vary depending on the specific Andar Bahar game you’re playing. Winning Andar bets tend to pay out 0.85 to 0.9:1, while winning Bahar bets often pay 0.95 to 1:1.

Game Payouts image

Tips and tricks to win at Andar Bahar

It’s important to remember that Andar Bahar is a game of chance, meaning there is no strategy you can employ that is guaranteed to win you money in every round. However, these tips will help you make the most of your bankroll and add to your fun while playing:

Practice for free first

If you’ve never played Andar Bahar before, the easiest way to learn how to play is to try free versions first. Doing so will allow you to develop your skills and experience without the risk of losing money. It can also help you get accustomed to any special rules and features your chosen game may have.

Place side bets

Side bets offer additional ways to win and allow you to place multiple wagers in every round. For instance, you can bet on the suit or rank of the Joker card, how many cards will be dealt before the round ends, and whether the next card dealt will be higher or lower than the Joker card. Just make sure to check the rules and payouts for the side bet, so you can decide if it’s worth it.

Deploy betting strategies

Many Andar Bahar players use betting strategies to decide on their bet amounts for every round quickly. A popular option is the Martingale strategy, whereby you double your wager amount every time you lose, although this method can result in you quickly accumulating losses. For that reason, some instead use the ‘Anti-Martingale’ strategy, which requires you to double your bets every time you win.

Play high RTP games

Different Andar Bahar games have varying house edges and return to player (RTP) rates, depending on the in-game rules and payouts. Look out for titles with a higher RTP (97% and above), as these games pay out more money on average across a long period of time.

Gamble responsibly

When you play Andar Bahar online, it’s important to stay within your budget and only bet amounts that you’re comfortable with losing. Don’t ever attempt to chase your losses, and strive to withdraw your winnings as often as possible.

Use casino bonuses

Top online casinos in India reward both new and existing players with bonuses that you can use on Andar Bahar games. These include welcome bonuses, deposit matches and cashback rewards, which can give you more money to play with every time you take on the dealer.

Andar Bahar odds and probabilities

While Andar Bahar is effectively a game of chance, you can refer to probabilities to help inform your predictions and bets, as well as check if the game has a favourable house edge.

The game uses a single standard 52-card deck, so once the Joker card has been declared, there are three cards out of the remaining 51 that can match its rank, or 5.88% of the remaining deck. In most games, cards are drawn to the Andar box first, which means a matching card has a 51.5% chance of appearing in the Andar box, while there is a 48.5% probability it will land in the Bahar box.

These probabilities and the payouts in play also determine the game’s house edge. As you can see in the table below, changing the payout can alter the RTP for different bets by over 2%:

Bet type Payout House edge RTP
Andar
0.85:1
4.72%
95.28%
Andar
0.9:1
2.15%
97.85%
Bahar
0.95:1
5.43%
94.57%
Bahar
1:1
3.00%
97.00%

Andar Bahar side bet odds

The most common side bet in Andar Bahar is predicting the suit or rank of the Joker card before it is revealed. You have a 25% (1 in 4) chance of correctly guessing the suit and a 7.69% chance (1 in 13) of successfully calling the rank.

Another popular side bet is attempting to guess how many cards will be dealt before the round ends (the maximum possible is 49). The most likely outcome is that the Joker will be matched on the first card dealt, although there is still only a 5.88% chance of this happening. Here are the probabilities for various outcomes:

Cards dealt Probability
1
5.88%
1-5
27.10%
1-10
48.81%
11+
51.19%
20+
23.82%
30+
7.40%
40+
1.06%
49
0.0048%

Pros and cons of playing Andar Bahar

Pros Cons
✅ Very easy to learn and play
❌ Gameplay can get repetitive
✅ Widely available at top online casinos in India
❌ May not appeal to players who prefer skill-based games
✅ Fun side bets for additional ways to win
✅ Fast-paced and simple gameplay
✅ Can play both RNG and live versions

Play Andar Bahar on mobile

You don’t need access to a computer or laptop to enjoy playing Andar Bahar at leading online casinos in India. There are dozens of fun Andar Bahar titles at top mobile gambling sites and casino apps, which both use HTML5 technology to offer quick loading times, high-quality graphics and seamless gameplay on smartphones and tablets.

There are also benefits to playing at mobile casinos beyond access to the most popular Andar Bahar games. Top mobile platforms offer most, if not all, games you’ll find on a desktop, along with quick deposits and withdrawals and full access to account and customer support options. If you want to download free apps for India’s best online casinos, simply visit the website and follow the instructions.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

In Andar Bahar, you need to successfully bet on whether a card matching the rank of a selected card (the Joker) will appear first in a box marked Andar (inside) or Bahar (outside).

This depends on the specific Andar Bahar game that you’re playing. Winning Andar bets tend to pay out 0.85 to 0.9:1, while winning Bahar bets often pay 0.95 to 1:1.

If cards are dealt to the Andar box first (as in most games), then Andar bets have a 51.5% chance of winning, while Bahar bets have a 48.5% probability.

Yes! We have a selection of great Andar Bahar titles on our free games page, while most casinos in India that have Andar Bahar games also allow you to try them in demo mode.

Andar Bahar is a game of chance. While you can consider odds and probabilities to gain an edge with your bets, there's otherwise limited skill and strategy that can be applied.

The house edge for a specific Andar Bahar game depends on the payouts for winning bets. On games that pay out 0.9:1 for winning Andar bets, the house edge is approximately 2.15%, meaning the RTP is 97.85%.

Yes, you can play live Andar Bahar games that are hosted by real-life professional dealers and streamed from dedicated studios. In many live Andar Bahar games, you can also interact with the dealer in real time.

Yes, both RNG and live Andar Bahar titles have in-game options that allow you to switch the language between English and Hindi.

Andar Bahar is a straightforward game that is easy to learn for beginner players. If you’ve never played it before, we would recommend trying free versions first before gambling real money.